Sunday, August 3, 2014

Life Apart... An American in London...

I'm sure my friend Marsha Rivers can attest to some of these things based on her best friend living in London for the last few years. London is doubly expensive than Western New York. They give NYC a run for its money for sure. Ben has been in London since Saturday morning their time, which is 5 hours ahead of us. He has successfully shopped for decent food for his new abode, and has realized some of the shortcomings of living in a very small space. Being here, you didn't really worry about what happened in the bathroom, since they're on the second floor and are out of the way. But there, everything is in the same 300 square feet, which doesn't go over well, if you know what I mean...

Things are moving along... he has a good stipend each day for meals. He has spent 100 pounds on food already, which translates to $165 here. That's just to keep at the apartment... Then there will most likely be at least 2 meals a day on the town. But, like I said, his stipend should be enough for any small family to live on.

Meanwhile, back at the homestead, Christy has spent more than she should have on groceries, and is wondering how the hell she spent that much. Times are different at this point, and I'm hoping with the money he DOESN'T spend (he gets the $ he doesn't spend each day in his pay), that we can come out ahead on this. We've joked about living on "ramen noodles and peanut butter" to save up, and he has already found and enjoyed London's version of that tasty salt ladened food source!

We have spoken several times already... we're missing each other. We've skyped and have sighed over the reality of where our lives are at this point. I can't say this is going to be grand... far from it actually. He is taking the brunt of the difficulties - a washer and no dryer... a tiny living space... getting up early like the rest of the world and going to work at 8 a.m. in "business" clothes. Ben has had an easy work life thus far, being able to work and live in shorts and t-shirts, working from home, and pretty much not having to concern himself with "business" type stuff. Now, he's readied himself with new dress shirts and ties, new dress pants, fancy socks, and all of that. Undershirts are now a part of his vocabulary. I remember a time when he swore he'd never wear a tie! We found 3 that are quite lovely... and argued about one that ended up being his choice, and a fine one at that :)

I covet your prayers... for myself and for Ben. He has a lot to learn, a lot to overcome, and even more to accomplish during his time in London. I pray for his wisdom and discernment, cautiousness, health, and stamina for these few months. It will be interesting to see how he and his existence changes over time... will he be the same? Mostly yes, but there will be changes in his perception of life, his attitude toward life outside of here, and his experiences in the business world. Hopefully he will be a stronger and more well rounded person at the other end of this.

Me, well... I'm trying to get my head around things and trying to fill my time constructively. I'm waiting on job opportunities to tell me if I'm a candidate or not, and moving ahead with life as I've known it. My life hasn't changed aside from being alone. Being alone is tough after 13+ years of being half of a partnership, but we're still partners... just in different places.

Thanks friends. More updates to come! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment