Thursday, September 22, 2011

Gearing up for Autumn, and hating it.

This is the first year I can say I don't want fall to come... I'm not ready for it. I loved summer this year, even though I sweat myself in half on those 90+ degree days in July. I rarely complained, simply because as I grow older I appreciate the ability to do things outside - walking barefoot out in the grass, smelling the freshly mown lawns... hearing the birds in the trees... it's all so good for the soul. Fall has its place, and about the only thing I can think of that I enjoy (two things) are wearing my comfy warm clothes and not having to make sure all my added stuffing is in proper place, and the colorful canopy across the region. It's beautiful here in the fall, and I'm sure I'd miss it. People who move away say that's one of the main things they miss - having more than one or two seasons. I guess at this point it may take me a few years to miss it, if I was to move away... but then who knows.

Changing seasons causes us within ourselves to change - to think about things - where we're headed, what's ahead of us long and short term... things that come up yearly but we don't really think to heavily about it most of the time. We ready our homes, our wardrobes, our outdoor plants and decorations... ready ourselves mentally for colder mornings, shorter days, and having to wear socks on a regular basis...

All I'm saying is, I'm not ready. I'm growing older, and this 'end of summer' feeling weighs on me. I thoroughly enjoyed my summer, and accomplished a lot while continuing to look for work. You may find me at the local 7-11 cashing drunken passers by out with their candy bars, beer, chips, and cigarettes. If you do, pretend you don't know me... it's just better that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment