Monday, December 17, 2012

A Prayer for the Broken...

I stand back and watch the world around me sometimes and it makes me so sad. All of the things our country has been enduring seems to indicate that the end is near. One can only hope. There are times when I ponder the thought processes of the people who have committed these acts of evil, and I can't seem to wrap my head around what they must be living with that would cause them to act out in these ways. I suppose most people do the same - try to understand. There are just some people in this world who are bent on doing harm to others, for whatever reason they justify it with. We can't begin to know the inner thoughts of these people. They may have endured tragic circumstances that have pushed them over the edge of reason. They may have mental disorders, been abused, bullied, abandoned... we just don't know what makes them tick. I see it as a part of our lives that we can't and won't understand. God knows, and He understands, but it's too much for us as human beings to fully comprehend.

As for this latest tragedy in CT, all I can do is shake my head. It goes without saying that this is far more than any of those families should face. There was no reason, and it baffles me as to why someone would want to purpose to harm an innocent child. I know there is a special place for people like that in hell, but I pull back when I feel that way, not wanting that anyone should endure that most horrific place. In the end, I have to leave it in God's hands. He tells us to leave revenge to Him, and allow His wrath to take the place of our own. That's difficult to do, but at the same time, in this case, it has already been handed down. We have no say in the matter. We can only turn our anger and fear into pity and empathy.

And so I pray...

Lord, you know what has happened, and saw it before it was even a thought in that man's mind. You know all of the lost, and have them in Your mighty hand. All of the tears shed are in your hand as well, and we take comfort in knowing You are in control of all things. We wish we could understand why things like this happen, and we long for a peace and comfort that only You can give. Please Lord, extend your merciful hand to each one of those who are suffering now. Please allow them to experience your grace and mercy first hand, and feel Your presence in their midst. Don't allow the anger and fear to hinder one moment of their lives. Bless the little children who survived, and the teachers, parents, caregivers, loved ones, and community who no doubt are bearing the burden of uncertainty, confusion, and loss. Please bless the souls of all the lost, and let Your will be done according to Your perfect timing. Thank you Lord... we cling to the faith we have in these times of struggle, and wait for a time when Your perfect kingdom will stand on earth, as it is in heaven.

In your precious name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment